Las Bebidas: Agua de Yerba Buena (Mint Water)

Minty fresh!
Minty fresh!
Minty fresh!

Maybe it’s a little bit of curandera in me or maybe it’s just the summer heat, but there’s something about drinking mint water that makes my mouth and spirit feel oh-so-clean. For centuries Curanderos and abuelitas (“grandmothers”) across the Americas have used this herb to cure a variety of stomach illnesses and spiritual ailments. I use la yerba buena (“spearmint”) to add zest to otherwise ordinary H2O.

Although not a traditional Mexican recipe, per se, this brew includes the traditional Mexican yerba buena and is a mouth soothing complement to any spicy summer meal.

Ingredients: Water and fresh spearmint.

Place four or five stems of washed spearmint l (20-30 leaves) in a re-sealable glass container (we re-use a 1.5L bottle of Carlo Rossi). Fill the container with very warm (*not hot) water. Place container in fridge to chill.  Serve on ice.

You may replenish the water up to two times before needing to replace the mint leaves.

About these ads
Comments
12 Responses to “Las Bebidas: Agua de Yerba Buena (Mint Water)”
  1. this is so wonderful and I have to try it! i usually drink cucumber water!

2. Priscilla says:

Dear god Gabbe, you seriously pay that much for mint? If i’d known, I’d have brought some from my herb garden. Also, if you still want some, Vas can’t get rid of the stuff @ the farmer’s market. If you meet him in Brooklyn he will give you all the herbs you could want: chili peppers, cilantro, basil, chives, thyme, sage–he’s literally got everything. Just ask. Or ask me and I’ll ask him and you meet him in Brooklyn on any given Saturday. :D

3. Michael says:

Are those New Deal bricks in the background?

4. Paul says:

Yo Gaby, I love you for this. All this time I spent coveting stupidly overpriced mint flavored waters, I could have been making my own! Yerba Buena grows in front of my grandma’s place, like weeds.

• gabriellemarielopez says:

See now thats how it should be done…from the yard to the kitchen. I’m jealous since right now I’m going to the grocery store and paying a whole $1.99 for more mint than I need.

• Stu says:

I dont have a yard so I just grow it in containers in my apartment. Another one to try is ‘chocolate mint’ which is just another variety that has a hint of chocolate to it. Yum!

5. I need to try this! Thanks for stopping by my blog as well. You have some great recipes on here that I will definitely be trying!

6. Michael says:

I would Recommend placing the jug outside to soak up some sun before chilling it. My only worry in letting it sit outside is that my neighbors might think it a good idea to slip some LSD in our sun tea and turn it into a real curendera experience! -pretty photo!