Tomatoes, Tomates para Salsa Huevona…

¿Huevona? Whatever. This lazy salsa is delicious.

… Salsa Cruda, Salsa Fresca, Salsa Picada, Salsa Bandera o Pico de Gallo. So many name and variations for one type of salsa!

¿Huevona? Whatever. This lazy salsa is delicious.

¿Huevona? Whatever. This lazy salsa is delicious.

This rendition of Salsa Huevona, literally the lazy man’s salsa,  requires a tad bit more time with the knife than most other recipes. Usually a cook will dice the pepper about the same size as the other ingredients, which is fine if you’re using a very mild pepper or if ya don’t mind randomly chomping down on a huge chunk of heat .

But when using habañeros, I would suggest finely mincing them with garlic (mom always told me the garlic cuts the sting and tempers the ensuing stomach ache) so that the oils immediately infuse the salsa with piquant and savory flavor. This little trick also gives the salsa consistent kick with every bite.

Salsa Huevona

Ingredients

3 (3 c.) medium tomatoes (heirloom, vine ripe or roma)
1 bunch (1 c.) green onion
1/2 (1 c.) red onion
1 c. chopped cilantro
1 habañero (mild), two if you like it hot!
2 cloves garlic
1 lime
1/2 Tbs. salt

Wash and dry your ingredients. Chop each of the tomatoes into approximately 1 cm. chunks. Chop the bunch of green onions 1 inch above rooted ends, discard the roots and cut stems at half inch intervals. Chop the red onion about the same size as the green onion. Chop the cilantro. Place all ingredients in a large bowl with the juice of one lime.

Finely dice the habañero and garlic so that it is almost paste-like. Sprinkle with 1/2 Tbs. salt. Add to the large bowl and gently but thoroughly toss ingredients together. Chill for 1/2 hour.

Serve with freshly fried corn tortilla chips, store will do, but homemade is always better. This salsa is also delicious added to scrambled eggs.

Grocery store cashier: "Qúe bonitos son, me recuerden al campo." These tomatoes are pretty indeed!

About these ads
Comments
7 Responses to “Tomatoes, Tomates para Salsa Huevona…”
  1. Diego Muñoz says:

Let me tell you something based on experience, I am Mexican and I have always loved eating VERY HOT salsas and chiles. But, if you put a REAL habanero in a salsa made with one pound of tomatoes, it is going to be really hot. If you just touch a chile habanero with hour finger, and then put your finger on your tongue, that is enough to burn your tongue. If you mince them with your bare hands, your fingers are going to burn. So, be careful with Real habaneros.

• gabriellemarielopez says:

Diego is right! Be careful when mincing these peppers, many advise using latex gloves (especially if you’re going to take out contat lenses out of your eyes later that night!).

2. YayaOrchid says:

Great recipe Gabriela! The colors look so vibrant! I must ask what camera you use for these photos. My pics don’t look half as good.

Thanks for sharing your recipe and your Mom’s tip. :)

• gabriellemarielopez says:

Nicole- I know, I love mom tips too!
      Gloria-Thanks for the tip. Now I’ll freeze the rest of the peppers today… it would be impossible to eat them all this week.
      Yaya- The camera is a Canon PowerShot SD550 purchased four or five years ago. We have to trick the darn thing into taking great pictures (lots of natural light, never a flash). It’s no SLR but it’s a dependable sturdy little camera that gets the job done.

3. gloria says:

Oh yes, I do make this quite often. We got a great crop of habanero’s from the garden and they are still giving. I give some away, but I freeze them just the way they are. Washed and whole and in a couple of baggies and then into a larger baggie and they stay great. I do the same with tomatoes. Your salsa looks delish and your blog is so inviting. Thx for sharing.

4. Nicole says:

Your recipes always looks so fresh and delicious! I must make this for my husband, he’ll love me even more :) I can’t wait to try your mom’s tip for mixing the pepper and garlic. I love mom tips :)

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...